Independent sample t-test is a statistical technique that is used to analyze the mean comparison of two independent groups. In independent samples t-test, when we take two samples from the same population, then the mean of the two samples may be identical. But when samples are taken from two different populations, then the mean of the sample may differ. In this case, it is used to draw conclusions about the means of two populations, and used to tell whether or not they are similar.
Aligning theoretical framework, gathering articles, synthesizing gaps, articulating a clear methodology and data plan, and writing about the theoretical and practical implications of your research are part of our comprehensive dissertation editing services.
Assumptions in independent samples t-test:1. Assumes that the dependent variable is normally distributed.
2. Assumes that the variance of the two groups are the same as the dependent variable.
3. Assumes that the two samples are independent of each other.
4. Samples are drawn from the population at random.
5. In independent sample t-test, all observations must be independent of each other.
6. In independent sample t-test, dependent variables must be measured on an interval or ratio scale.Procedures for independent sample t-test:1. Set up the hypothesis.
a. Null Hypothesis: It is assumed when the means of the two groups are not significantly different.
b. Alternative Hypothesis: Assumes that the means of the two groups are significantly different.
5. Hypothesis testing: In hypothesis testing for the independent sample t-test, statistical decisions are made about whether or not the two population means are identical. Compare the calculated value of the independent sample t-test with the table value of the sample t-test. If the calculated value of the independent sample t-test is greater than the table value of the predetermined significance level, we will reject the null hypothesis and say that the means of the two groups are different. If the calculated value of the independent sample t-test is less than the table value, then we will say that the means of the two groups are the same.
Independent sample t-test and SPSS: Most statistical software has the option to perform the independent sample t-test. In SPSS, to perform the independent sample t-test we have to perform following procedure: