Chapter Four: How To Write Your Dissertation Results Chapter
The results chapter is an integral part of any dissertation research. The professionals at Statistics Solutions have assisted thousands of doctoral candidates with their dissertation results chapter.
The results chapter of your dissertation is one of the most important components of your study, where the accurate statistical analysis must be performed, assumptions examined, and findings reported and clearly explained. Once you conduct your analyses, you have to present your results in a way that shows clear support or non-support of your hypotheses. Statistical expertise is needed to effectively present the results and defend your findings.
Statistics Solutions can assist you with your results chapter in the following ways:
- Enter, code and clean data: The first step in creating a results chapter is to import your data from Excel to SPSS. (We also use stat-transfer if the data is in another form). Once the data is in SPSS, the variables must be labeled and the levels of the variables assigned (e.g., male=1, female=2). The data cleaning typically entails screening the variables for both univariate and multivariate outliers, normality, addressing missing values, and assessing for linearity.
- Statistical analysis: The actual analyses takes many forms. Most, if not all, dissertation results chapters include descriptive statistics of the demographic variables (means, standard deviation, frequencies and percentages), as well as the reliabilities of any composite scores. The analyses should then be focused on addressing the research hypotheses by assessing, addressing and reporting of the assumptions of the particular analysis, and then the conducting and reporting of the relevant statistical output in the results chapter.
- Write results: The results chapter should be presented logically. First the descriptives and then the results of the analyses that address the hypotheses. The tables and figures must be in APA 6th edition. The results chapter should flow smoothly, where the reader does not have to stop to question why an analysis was conducted. There is an old saying that "hard writing makes for easy reading"--you want the committee to have a very easy time reading your results chapter.
- Explain statistics: You must be able to defend every word of the results chapter. At Statistics Solutions, we are teachers as well as statisticians and methodologists. We make sure you completely understand what was conducted, why it was conducted, and the implications of the results.
- Create APA-style tables and figures: Tables and figures can be a stumbling block for graduate students and is especially important when formulating the results chapter. APA 6th edition has changed their format a bit from the 5th edition, and Statistics Solutions will make sure it is correct. For example, there is a greater emphasis on reporting confidence intervals and the regression tables have been substantially modified.
- Dissertation editing: While the results chapter should be edited properly, we can edit your entire dissertation for both APA and for basic English grammar, style, paragraphing, and punctuation.
- At Statistics Solutions, we use of SPSS, SAS, LISREL, M-Plus, AMOS, statistical packages, and NVIVO for qualitative data.
Contact Statistics Solutions today for a free consultation on your dissertation results chapter. We can manage your research data, ensure the appropriate statistics are conducted and reported, and that you understand the implications of your findings.